Monday, June 14, 2010

June Daring Cook Pate Challenge - part two

Okay, so I know that I never do a "part two" for a Daring Kitchen challenge, but I was a day late on finishing the second pate that I really wanted to make, but I still wanted to share it. In case you missed it (and don't feel like scrolling down), part one can be found here.

After seeing some of the really interesting, intriguing and absolutely delicious looking dessert pate variations that the other Daring Cooks came up with, inspiration struck me - I wanted to make a dessert pate, and I knew exactly what I wanted it to be: s'mores.

I mean, think about it - pate is essentially a spread, that is spread on some kind of bread. Graham crackers as the bread, chocolate-marshmallow spread - what could be better? And I knew exactly how I wanted to make it.

I started with the marshmallows. I have been making my own marshmallows for a little while now. The only difference was that I needed to cut them much smaller for this project. Little miss was happy to help, though soon realized how much work it was to coat such tiny, sticky marshmallows in powdered sugar. But she persevered, and it was so worth it.

For the chocolate portion of the pate, I started with the recipe that I use for a most delicious Bailey's-chocolate cheesecake. Minus the Bailey's. After all, this was a family dessert. Once the cheesecake mixture was prepared, the mini marshmallows were folded in, where they remained pretty much suspended throughout the mix.

The "pate" was then poured into a bowl and put into the refrigerator to set until dessert time. And, yes, little miss still has impeccable timing regarding my food-photography attempts. That's okay - as usual, it's the best part of the picture.

Anyway, once dessert time came around, it was interesting to see little miss, daddy and me prepare our individual s'mores pate servings. We each grabbed a graham cracker and layered it with the chocolate-marshmallow pate, fresh whipped cream and raspberries. The results? All of them, no matter which of us constructed them, were absolutely amazing. Now this is the way to have pate!

And in case you are curious, that is daddy's dessert that is shown here. He does a good job. :)

So thank you, again, Evelyne and Valerie, for a challenge that inspired this fantastic dessert. This is a definite keeper.

9 comments:

  1. Love both your sweet and savory pates. That mushroom version looks so-o-o-o delicious! And the smores one just makes a monkey smile - I can already think about how I would make mine! Wish we could join you in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. I think I just fainted a little bit. This looks amazing! I love s'mores! I'm so glad you did a part two and shared it with us because WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative!! Superb looking pate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is Delish! You've really made me a pate lover with this one, I'm loving part two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, this sounds delicious!!!!!! What a cool idea to make a s'mores pâté!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo i've been looking forward to see some dessert pates and this is just what i was looking for. What a great idea to make smores! fantastic job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! I now wish I had done a dessert pate instead of the vegetable one lol!!!
    I love smores.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to come check this out after you mentioned it - what a great take on the challenge! It looks super delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails