Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sorry about the delay in posting - little man has been a bit under the weather, so I haven't been as timely with my posting as usual. But now that he's feeling a bit better, I have a chance to share with you these delicious cookies that I made last week.

As you have undoubtedly noticed, I have a slight fascination with my sourdough starter, and with seeing how many awesome things I can make with it. So when we recently had a craving for chocolate chip cookies, I knew exactly where to turn.  You see, my sourdough partner in crime, Jenni, once posted about some sourdough cookies that she made, using a recipe that she created herself. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to try them out!

The recipe starts out similarly to "regular" chocolate chip cookies. Dry ingredients are whisked together...


...and butter is creamed together with sugar and brown sugar.



And then you stir in a cup of sourdough starter.



And then you continue just like "normal" cookies again! Beat in an egg and vanilla, incorporate the dry ingredients, then fold in the chips. Easy peasy.



Using a regular teaspoon, I dropped spoonfuls onto my cookie sheet, and we were ready to bake.



Can I just tell you how good these cookies were? And making them a little small, they were perfect snacking size.




The best part is that everyone loved them. Everyone including those members of my family who are starting to get wary of anything sourdough. Even the littlest member of the family.




These cookies are a little softer than classic chocolate chip cookies - almost a bit cakey, and they have the perfect amount of sweet with a slight tang from the sourdough. I can't wait to try using different mix-ins, too - dried fruit? Maybe even swap out some of the flour for oatmeal? The possibilities are endless. And so very delicious.




Sourdough Cookies of Awesomeness 
(only the teeniest bit adapted from The Gingered Whisk)

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup sourdough starter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 ounces chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 400 degree.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar.
Turn the mixer off, and with a wooden spoon gently mix in the starter until combined.
Add the egg (you can turn your mixer back on now) and the vanilla.
Slowly add the flour mixture into the mixer, until just combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown around the edges.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job, Shelley!!! Your cookies turned out awesome!!! Glad everyone loved them, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I was able to make a sourdough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies turned out amazingly! I added a little extra flour to make a stiffer dough (this was a necessity for me after a mishap) and the cookies stayed perfectly soft and fluffy even once they cooled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family loves these cookies. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails