Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Teriyaki Salmon

As you may have noticed, I cook quite a bit. And quite a variety of foods.  But there is one type of food that I almost never prepare, and that is fish. I just don't have a lot of experience with it, and it's not a favorite of anyone in the house. Daddy and I consider it every once in a while, but usually wind up changing our minds, as I am not a fan of preparing multiple meals for a single mealtime.

But we recently decided to just go for it anyway. Salmon was on sale, little miss is a little older - why not?

Daddy wanted some kind of teriyaki style salmon, but other than that, we had nothing specific in mind.

A quick google search led me to allrecipes.com, where I found this recipe that looked simple and delicious.

The first step was to prepare the sauce, a simple combination of sesame oil, lemon juiced, soy sauce, brown sugar and spices, cooked over low heat until it simmers and the sugar dissolves.

Now, the recipe calls for the fish to be marinated in the sauce, then cooked quickly under the broiler.

We didn't plan far enough in advance to marinate, and I had other dishes going, so didn't want to babysit the broiler.

So I improvised.

I spooned a little bit of the sauce onto the pan, set the salmon on top of the sauce, then spooned more of the sauce on top.

 .
I then baked the fish in the oven, rather than broiling it.

And 20 minutes later, I was amazed to have perfectly cooked salmon!  I served it with brown rice and steamed baby bok choy


Little miss claimed not to like it, but still ate more than half of her piece.  Daddy and I liked it -the sauce was delicious and the salmon was a refreshing change of pace for us.

I can't promise that we'll be adding fish to our regular rotation, but I'm not quite as wary of it as a change-up every once and again. And that's a success to me!


Teriyai Salmon
(slightly adapted from allrecipes.com)

1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 6-ounce salmon filets

Combine sesame oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, mustard, ginger and garlic powder in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until the mixture comes to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a baking dish with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
Spoon a bit of the sauce onto the cooking sheet, then place the salmon pieces over the sauce. Spoon more sauce over the salmon, coating them well.
Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until it flakes easily.
While the fish bakes, heat the remaining sauce to serve with the finished dish.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! But we are big seafood eaters, given that Evan is pescetarian and a diehard pacific northwesterner!

    Funny that it's an allrecipes.com recipe -- my awesome stepbrother Erik has been making videos for them over the last year or so -- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcl0kBajtGOyysq8X4JOdyGwr82ZrBBRk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails